Welcome to Colmar, the Little Venice of Alsace!

 

Colmar is in Alsace, which is part of France. It’s where the Alsatian shepherd (also called German shepherd) comes from, which sounds confusing, but that’s because Alsace is a territory that the French and the Germans have fought three major wars over. We can see why. The place is full of charm, beauty and history. Here are some photos from our trip to this picture-perfect dream land!

Oooh, la, la. Fancy a romantic dinner on the canal of Logelbach?

We would, but we didn’t bring enough money for Colmar’s specialty: foie gras. But that’s okay. Foie gras is actually a non-non food for us. It’s duck liver, but a naughty one as humans force feed poor little duckies to get it crazy fat. Horror! We like happy healthy duckies.

Instead, we tried Colmar’s other specialty: Tarte flambée. It’s like pizza, but cheese sauce instead of tomato sauce on the base. Yum!

 

 

 

 

Place de l’Ancienne Douane

Is that a juicy dog bone in his hand? Maybe not.

This is the statue of Auguste Bartholdi, who, by the way, designed New York’s Statue of Liberty. He marks the Place de l’Ancienne Douane.

Opposite the statue is Koîfhus, the old Customs House. That’s where imported goods were stored and duty (tax) was levied (charged). We love the diamond patterns on the roof and the cute roof on the tower bit called a turret. Can you believe that the origin of the building dates to 1480?

Pfister House

 

Pfff….this is the Pfister House. It was built in 1537 by a rich hat merchant, Ludwig Scherer.
The building is famous for the biblical murals that wrap around the building.
What many people notice though is the funny wooden man perched on the corner of the building.

 

Collegiate Church of St Martin

Gothic beauty! It’s so big many people think it’s a ‘cathedral’, but St Martin never was a bishop’s seat and so it has always been a simple parish church. Can you guess when the church was built? It seems there was a smaller church there as early as the 11th century. Major building work began after 1235 when St Martin became a Collegiate Church. That’s when a college of canons (secular monks) officially started hanging out there.

 

Save

Save

Save